Monday, October 5, 2009

Bestiary

Hello all! As I promised, here is the 6 foot self-portrait I did in charcoal. The assignment was to basically just to a giant sketch, the "sketch" part of which I only found out after I started shading.
I think it turned out all right, and by all right I mean it somewhat resembles me. Hurrah! Now I just need to start pumping these suckers out every weekend and I'll be on track.

I've been at a loss for what to do with my spare time. I know I should be creating portfolio pieces, but lately I haven't had any great ideas for portfolio pieces. So I started thinking about it more last night and I decided to start creating creatures. My first thought was to go on wikipedia and pick an animal, then click on random article until two more animals came up and BAM, I'd find a way to combine the three. It sounded like a great plan until I discovered that animal articles are few and far between. But as I surfed, I got sidetracked, and easy thing on wikipedia, and ended up reading about Thunderbird mythology from the Pacific Northwest. It was fascinating, and I soon found myself following other related threads on everything from the Simurgh, Fenghuang, and the garuda. So I abandoned my previous plan, and am now set on a different track; creating concept drawings for mythological creatures, preferably some of the lesser known ones, though I do intend to hit on the phoenix and gryphon at some point. Hopefully, I'll get to about one per week- and if I don't, I welcome complaints.

1 comment:

  1. The mythology concept drawing sounds like fun.

    I did some research and found out some really interesting myth back in highschool.
    This is a really good website I found: http://www.pantheon.org/

    Also, in your self portrait: I can totally see Epshtyen's influence.

    ~Rekul (Yates)

    ReplyDelete